Sunday, August 01, 2010

Doriand Au diable le paradis 1996



The song "Au diable le paradis" was playing in Paris in 1996 when I went on vacation over Christmas and New Year to write my dissertation : "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". I was staying in a little hotel, the Cosy Monceau, in the Malesherbes district of Paris. I would read and write in the mornings and go shopping and sightseeing in the afternoon and it was freezing. I thoroughly enjoyed my two week stay and had to write 12,000 words. What seemed a lot of writing to my horror on return was only 7000 words. I had another 5000 words of padding to go. My tutor, Professor Nicola Lacey, suggested I change the dissertation around, I was not amused so I decided not to change the beginning or the ending and with the help of sellotape and scissors cut the thing to pieces and stuck it back together again. I did enjoy my time in Paris ... and the song was on the album "Contact" which I bought. I thought it pertinent because I was writing about Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) being in the legal system of England & Wales via the Woolf Reforms and this song, which is quite catchy, kept ringing in my ears ... the devil in paradise ... which I thought was most apt to the material I was writing about.

Well why is this still relevant to my blog, Doriand has brought out another album "Le Grand Bain" and I bought it on Amazon the other day and have been listening to it today and rather liking it.


My Gran gave me some money to buy a Christmas present so I bought a large pink glass goblet in Montmatre district. With the remainder I bought pink tulips the first week and purple tulips the next from a local florist to sit on my desk. Fond memories indeed ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home